对话原文
I can't believe you told Grover the world's gonna end.
真不敢相信你告诉葛罗弗世界末日要来了
You know, this is why people hate scientists.
这就是人们讨厌科学家的原因
That's kind of an alarming thing to hear
从一个学校校长嘴里说出这种话
coming from a school principal.
真是令人担忧
You can't say those kinds of things in front of kids.
你不能在孩子面前说那种话
I don't want Grover freaking out about the end of the world.
我不想葛罗弗因为世界末日而抓狂
Well, I'm sorry, Gemma, but I'm a scientist;
杰玛 抱歉 但我是科学家
I work with the facts.
我只说实话
And I'm a parent, Marty; I lie.
而我是家长 马蒂 我撒谎
Okay. So what are you saying?
你想说什么
We should just sugarcoat the truth
我们应该只是粉饰真相
and stuff him full of ignorance and falsehoods?
给他灌输无知和谎言吗
Yes.
对啊
今日重点:
令人担忧的:alarming。alarm是名词“惊恐;警报器”。alarm clock,闹钟
校长:principal。注意区分“原则principle”(这两个词的发音相同)
害怕:freak out。我很害怕:I'm freaking out.
糖衣:sugarcoat。这个词作动词就是“粉饰”的意思。而糖衣炮弹就是sugar-coated bullets。bullet是“子弹”的意思
无知:ignorance。动词“忽视”是ignore
谎言:falsehood,正式说法,多用于书面用语
(来源:沪江英语)